— Albert Einstein
In keeping with the philosophy of Woodsville High School, the Social Studies Department prepares students to become active participants in a democratic society and an increasingly global and interconnected world.
Woodsville High School Competencies
Courses offered within the Woodsville High School Social Studies curriculum help students:
• Demonstrate and apply knowledge of major eras, themes and historical influences, and analyze how they affect community, the state, the United States and the world. (HISTORY)
• Analyze how geography affects the interdependence of human societies and civilizations, and solve issues related to geography. (GEOGRAPHY)
• Assess personal, national and global economic decisions using principles of various economic and political systems. (ECONOMICS)
• Use evidence from founding documents, principles and structures of the constitutional government and political system in America to analyze relationships between citizens, governments and politics over time. (CIVICS and GOVERNMENT)
• Develop and defend positions on issues and events, using evidence from research gathered from a variety of sources. (APPLICATIONS OF SOCIAL STUDIES PROCESSES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL)
• Develop, implement, and evaluate civic service learning project based on local, national, or global issues. (CIVIC ENGAGEMENT)
As the pandemic rages, the Trump administration appears to be actively trying to discredit the disease expert who publicly disagreed with the President
As coronavirus cases surge in the United States, the White House is taking aim at the nation's top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci.
At least 33 US states experience increase in coronavirus cases
'Atrocious': Adam Schiff reacts to attempt at discrediting Fauci
Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff weighs in on reports that White House officials are raising questions about Dr. Anthony Fauci for openly disagreeing with President Donald Trump in favor of science.
DeSantis downplayed coronavirus help from New York after Florida health department praised it
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis publicly downplayed New York's role in providing his state with shipments of an antiviral drug to help combat the coronavirus pandemic after a staffer in The Sunshine State's health department had privately praised the assistance, CNN has learned.
Betsy DeVos is asked if she has a plan to reopen schools safely. Watch her response.
CNN's Dana Bash speaks to Education Secretary Besty DeVos about whether or not she has a plan for schools to safely reopen for students as Covid-19 cases surge in the US.
First cases of coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome identified in children in South Carolina
What the Surgeon General had to say about mask mandates
How one of the largest US school districts is preparing to reopen and what parents think
• Analysis: Trump's push to reopen schools puts parents in a tailspin • Opinion: The truth Trump won't see about reopening schools
Hundreds of people gathered at a lake. Now some have Covid-19
• Florida smashes record for new virus cases • Opinion: What Trump's mask can't hide • Navajo Nation becomes a case study amid Arizona's Covid-19 spike
Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
Elvis Presley's grandson Benjamin Keough has died, a representative for his mother, Lisa Marie Presley, said. He was 27.
21 injured after an explosion and fire on a naval ship in San Diego
Several sailors were injured after an explosion on board a ship at the US Naval Base in San Diego, according to the San Diego Fire Department (SDFD).
ER doctor reacts to Trump's claim: It's a preposterous thought
An emergency room physician from Arizona, which saw a recent spike in coronavirus cases, discusses a claim made by President Trump that a majority of coronavirus patients "automatically get better."
NYT: Trump considered selling Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, ex-Cabinet official says
President Donald Trump considered the idea of selling Puerto Rico in 2017 after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria, the former acting Homeland Security secretary told The New York Times in an interview published Friday.
He flaunted jets and wads of cash to 2.5 million followers. Then Feds found his posts
Ramon Abbas openly flaunted a lavish lifestyle of private jets, designer clothes and luxury cars.
Analysis: Mary Trump is releasing a book. Michael Cohen is finishing a book. Both are being restricted
A version of this article first appeared in the "Reliable Sources" newsletter. You can sign up for free right here.
Brian Stelter: Big lies are taking their toll
CNN's Brian Stelter breaks down President Donald Trump's recent false and confusing claims.
Trump attempts to justify his frequent golf outings as 'exercise'
President Donald Trump on Sunday defended what he described as his "exercise" regimen, tweeting a justification for his frequent golf outings and claiming them as sufficient physical activity.
Bollywood star, once dubbed 'The Most Beautiful Woman,' tests positive for Covid-19
Iconic Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and her daughter, Aaradhya, tested positive for coronavirus following news that Aishwarya's husband and father-in-law were hospitalized with the virus.
Former USA Gymnastics coach is arrested and faces charges of lewdness with a minor
A former gymnastics coach was arrested in Las Vegas and faces 14 counts of lewdness with a child under age 14, authorities said
Facebook's future keeps getting murkier
For nearly two months, Facebook has been scrambling to get a handle on a wave of criticism over its policies on moderating content, particularly hateful speech and misinformation that spreads on its platforms.